Rock Tumbling Smoky Quartz – Process & Techniques
This is one in a series of Rock Tumbling “How-To” videos that I have been posting on YouTube. This video features me tumbling Smoky Quartz! Smoky Quartz is a member of the translucent/semi-translucent family of Quartz, just like Amethyst, Rose Quartz and Citrine. Smoky Quartz is a deep brown color and has a wide variety of shades. It can range anywhere from very light and almost clear to very deep brown, almost black. Smoky Quartz is Mohs hardness 7, but is not very tough, so it tends to chip and break in the tumbler. Because of its fragile nature in the tumbler and prone to chipping easily – Smoky Quartz is an Intermediate level project.
Check out the video below to watch my entire process and see the final shine of this flashy Smoky Quartz!
Want to Learn to Tumble Gemstones??
Check out my new Online Course – “Rock Tumbling 101”
Get the RAY-TECH Tumble-Vibe 5 for UNDER $100!
My Rock Tumbling Equipment List:
- Rotary Rock Tumblers
- Lortone 3A – https://amzn.to/2XUzlLY
- Lortone 33B – https://amzn.to/2XRIHYJ
- Lortone QT6 – https://amzn.to/32DZSMf
- Lortone QT66 – https://amzn.to/2LxLQX3 (My Favorite!!)
- Lortone 45C – https://amzn.to/2LwVlpE
- Thumler AR-2 – https://amzn.to/2XRJYit
- Grits & Polish
- 60/90 Silicon Carbide Course Grit – https://amzn.to/2JTB7TB
- 120/200 Silicon Carbide Medium Grit – https://amzn.to/2JTB9uH
- 500 Aluminum Oxide Fine Grit – https://amzn.to/2JVST8I
- 1000 Aluminum Oxide Extra-Fine Grit – https://amzn.to/2JSbPoV
- Aluminum Oxide Polish – https://amzn.to/2xVCmfu
- Tin Oxide Polish – https://amzn.to/2LtYmH7
- Grit & Polish Combo Pack – https://amzn.to/2JQZd1i
- Tumbling Media
- Large Ceramic Media – https://amzn.to/2JRt7T1
- Small Ceramic Media – https://amzn.to/2Ly9Qtm
- Plastic Pellets – https://amzn.to/2xYA5Ao
- 20 Mule Team Borax – https://amzn.to/2SynwoQ
- Dreft Detergent – https://amzn.to/2XULSPq
- “Modern Rock Tumbling”by Steve Hart (The BEST tumbling book out there!) – https://amzn.to/2XUMepe