Rotary Rock Tumbling Labradorite – Process & Techniques
This is one in a series of Rock Tumbling “How-To” videos that I have been posting on YouTube. This video features me tumbling Labradorite! This was a highly requested gemstone, because it’s extremely difficult to tumble well. The fragile cleavage planes tend to chip and fracture during any stage of tumbling. Labradorite is Mohs hardness 7, but is extremely fragile so this tutorial includes both a rotary tumbler and the Raytech Tumble-Vibe 5. It you do manage to get a pretty shine, the rainbow flash of the Labradorite is well worth the effort! Due to it’s fragile a finicky nature – Tumbling Labradorite is an Advanced level project.
Check out the video below to watch my entire process and see the final shine of this flashy Labradorite!
Want to Learn to Tumble Gemstones??
Check out my new Online Course – “Rock Tumbling 101”
Get the RAY-TECH Tumble-Vibe 5 for UNDER $100!
My Rock Tumbling Equipment List:
- Rotary Rock Tumblers
- Lortone 3A – https://amzn.to/2XUzlLY
- Lortone 33B – https://amzn.to/2XRIHYJ
- Lortone QT6 – https://amzn.to/32DZSMf
- Lortone QT66 – https://amzn.to/2LxLQX3 (My Favorite!!)
- Lortone 45C – https://amzn.to/2LwVlpE
- Thumler AR-2 – https://amzn.to/2XRJYit
- Grits & Polish
- 60/90 Silicon Carbide Course Grit – https://amzn.to/2JTB7TB
- 120/200 Silicon Carbide Medium Grit – https://amzn.to/2JTB9uH
- 500 Aluminum Oxide Fine Grit – https://amzn.to/2JVST8I
- 1000 Aluminum Oxide Extra-Fine Grit – https://amzn.to/2JSbPoV
- Aluminum Oxide Polish – https://amzn.to/2xVCmfu
- Tin Oxide Polish – https://amzn.to/2LtYmH7
- Grit & Polish Combo Pack – https://amzn.to/2JQZd1i
- Tumbling Media
- Large Ceramic Media – https://amzn.to/2JRt7T1
- Small Ceramic Media – https://amzn.to/2Ly9Qtm
- Plastic Pellets – https://amzn.to/2xYA5Ao
- 20 Mule Team Borax – https://amzn.to/2SynwoQ
- Dreft Detergent – https://amzn.to/2XULSPq
- “Modern Rock Tumbling”by Steve Hart (The BEST tumbling book out there!) – https://amzn.to/2XUMepe