Now that you have a nice collection of gemstones and crystals, and you are working on forming a connection with each one, it is important not to forget regular maintenance. Gemstones should be cleansed, charged and activated after you first receive it. Then regular upkeep should be incorporated in between crystal use. Gemstones provide you with energy; therefore, they get drained of its power. Some gemstones also absorb and accumulate energy from you and the environment, especially if it’s a protective stone. If you are feeling less response from your crystals, or the energy feels hazy and murky, give it a good “spa day” to refresh it. Cleansing gemstones is an important regular activity in your crystal healing practice.
Stones absorb and store the energies they encounter. After you acquire a new stone make sure to give it a good cleansing before you do any work with it. Even if the stone has been on the shelf of a store the energy of the mining, tumbling, and cutting process may still be stored within. These stones should be restored to their natural Earth frequency.
Here are some common methods for cleaning gems and crystals. With the exception of some stones damaged by sunlight and water, use your intuition to determine which method the stone would best respond to.
- Run cold tap water over it for 10-15 seconds
- Leave them out in the rain
- Rest the stone in full moonlight or sunlight
- Wash it in the sea or flowing river
- Soak it in a bowl of salt water
- Bury it in a bowl of sea salt or rice
- Smudge the crystal with Sage or Palo Santo
- Bury it in the Earth overnight
**The method I use for the delicate stones listed below is smudge with Palo Santo, place them on a Selenite plate and surround them with Carnelian (it transmutes any negative energy into positive and infuses it with even more energy).
Stones damaged by Direct Sunlight (You may want to use moonlight or another cleansing method for these stones as these may fade or crack when left in sunlight):
Aventurine, Amethyst, Ametrine, Apatite, Aquamarine, Beryl, Celestite, Citrine, Fluorite, Rose Quartz, Smokey Quartz, Kunzite, Sapphire, Turquoise, & Topaz
Stones that may be damaged by Water (A quick rinse will not harm these stones, but do not soak them for an extended period of times):
Amber, Angelite, Selenite, Celestite, Calcite, Turquoise, Opals, Pearls, Malachite, Lapis Lazuli, Azurite, Coral, Labradorite, Lepidolite & Kyanite (Kyanite doesn’t need cleansing anyway)
Stones that may be damaged by Salt:
Carnelian, Pyrite, Lapis Lazuli, Opal, & Hematite
Charging the Stones
After the stone is nice and clean with fresh energy, it should be charged with more positive energy. This will amplify the benefits of the stones and enable you to strongly feel the energy of the stone.
- Place gems on a Selenite plate
- Place gems on a large clear quartz cluster or surround them with smaller clear quartz pieces
- Use Reiki on the stone
Activating Your Crystals and Gems
Finally now that the gemstones are cleaned and charged, it is important to activate the power of the stones. This is a sound or a motion that turns on and readies the crystal for immediate use.
- Strike a meditation gong in proximity of the crystal
- Sound a chime or bell near the stone
- Chant OM with the stone close to your vocal cords
- Drop the stone on the sand of a beach or lake (the sand will not damage the stone and it is constantly being cleansed by sun and water – also salt by the ocean)
Use Those Gemstones!
Now we come to the absolute, most important step…. Use your gemstones! Sure they are gorgeous and look great on your shelf or alter, but crystals really crave the flow and exchange of energy that active use provides. These stones can help improve your quality of life – Right Now. Read some of my other blog posts, or watch my Instagram stories, for easy practical ways to use your stones for normal, every day situations.
Visit the Crystal Healing Store!
Join the Mailing List & get a FREE Crystal Healing Workbook!
Additional Gemstone Resources:
- “The Book of Stones, Revised Edition: Who They Are and What They Teach,” by Simmons, Robert
- “The Crystal Bible: A Definitive Guide to Crystals,” by Judy Hall.
- “Crystal Enlightenment: The Transforming Properties of Crystals and Stones,” by Katrina Raphaell.
- “Love is in the Earth: A Kaliedoscope of Crystals,” by Melody.